Caprese pizza is the perfect marriage of two Italian classics: pizza and Caprese salad. The fresh ingredients, sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, and olive oil, combine to create a delicious and healthy meal. The perfect summer pizza!
This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you for supporting a small business!
Why you’ll love this easy balsamic glaze pizza recipe
What ingredients do I need?
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
This really is the best Caprese pizza recipe, we love firing up the pizza oven for a summer party!
What is a Caprese pizza?
An easy Caprese pizza is a pizza that is made with fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegar, similar to a Caprese salad.
The ingredients are layered perfectly on top of the pizza crust in order.
The name “Caprese” comes from the little Italian island of Capri, on the Amalfi coast, where this delicious type of pizza was first created.
What do you serve with pizza?
Pizza is delicious when served with a fresh green Italian salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.
Want a themed appetizer for your pizza?
Is a Caprese and Margherita pizza the same?
The answer is both yes and no.
Another difference is the type of cheese used on each pizza.
Mozzerella cheese is used on a Caprese pizza, while a Margherita pizza can use both mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Like a Margherita pizza, a Caprese pizza is also made with tomato sauce, but it includes slices of fresh tomatoes and basil.
So, in a way, the two pizzas are similar, but there are also some differences.
What does Caprese mean in cooking?
Caprese is a simple Italian dish of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil usually served on a bed of lettuce.
The name “Caprese” comes from the island of Capri, where this dish is thought to have originated.
Which is best, a kitchen oven or a pizza oven?
If you want the crunch of an authentic tasting pizza, then it has to be a pizza oven all the way!
Cooked in just 3 minutes, you’ll get that delicious crispy charred pizza crust that a kitchen oven struggles to get.
If a pizza oven is not feasible for you right now, you can use a pizza stone.
A pizza stone retains its heat and will then heat the crust, so while you don’t get the exact same finish or speed, a pizza stone is a great middle ground for you.
What kind of crust to use?
The choice is yours.
You can make your own fresh pizza dough if you have the time.
Pizza dough is made from flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and extra virgin olive oil.
We’re working on our pizza crust recipe and will update you when we have perfected it.
Homemade pizza dough makes a delicious pizza, but you don’t always have time – right?
You can also buy ready made pizza dough, all you’ll need to do is to roll the dough out.
But if you don’t have time for either of those options, then there’s nothing wrong with buying a good quality pizza crust.
Do what’s right for YOU!
What are the best tomatoes to use?
Fresh tomatoes that are in season are the best.
Try to avoid any overly watery tomatoes as you don’t want to make your pizza crust soggy.
Roma tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and sweet tomatoes are perfect.
How do I store leftover pizza?
Your pizza will store for up to 3 days when kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It will also freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe notes and expert tips
More easy recipes for you to try
If you love our pizza recipes, then check out these easy recipes
How to cook a Caprese pizza with step by step instructions
Making our classic Caprese pizza recipe is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
If you are using an Ooni pizza oven
Preheat your Ooni oven for 15 minutes and then bring it down to 650°F/340°C.
Lightly dust your pizza paddle with flour, then place your pizza crust on the flour.
Brush the pizza crust with olive oil, leaving a half inch border.
Then add mozzarella slices, tomato slices, fresh basil leaves, and optional kosher salt, and pepper.
Place your pizza in the Ooni pizza oven and cook for approximately 2 – 3 minutes, turning every 20 seconds to ensure an even cook.
Cook until the crust is charred, and the cheese is melted.
Remove your pizza from the oven, drizzle it with balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction, garnish it with additional fresh basil leaves, and serve immediately.
Enjoy your pizza!
If you are cooking in a kitchen oven
Preheat the oven to 500°F/260°C.
Lightly dust your baking sheet, pizza pan, or pizza stone with flour.
Brush the pizza crust with olive oil, leaving a half inch border.
Then add mozzarella slices, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, optional kosher salt, and pepper.
Place your pizza in the oven and cook for approximately 8 – 10 minutes, turning halfway through to ensure an even cook.
Cooked until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Remove your pizza from the oven, drizzle with balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction, add a few additional fresh basil leaves, and serve immediately.
Enjoy your homemade Caprese pizza!
We hope you enjoy making and eating our Caprese pizza recipe and would love to hear how you got on with making it.
Please leave a comment below or feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Finally! A Caprese pizza recipe that is both delicious and easy to make!
- All purpose flour to coat your work surface
- 1 12 inch pizza base
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 8 oz Fresh mozzarella sliced
- 2 Heirloom tomatoes (or grape tomatoes) sliced
- 1 handful Basil leaves torn for garnish
- 1 drizzle Balsamic glaze
If using the Ooni pizza oven
- Preheat your Ooni to 650°F/340°C
- Lightly dust your pizza paddle with flour, then place your pizza base on the flour. Brush olive oil on the pizza crust, leaving a half inch border. Then, place your mozzarella, tomatoes, and basilAll purpose flour, 1 12 inch pizza base, 1 tbsp Olive oil, 8 oz Fresh mozzarella, 2 Heirloom tomatoes (or grape tomatoes), 1 handful Basil leaves
- Place your Caprese pizza in the oven for approximately 1-2 minutes, ensuring you turn it every 20 seconds and cook it evenly. Your pizza crust will be golden brown and crispy, and the toppings perfectly cooked. Once the pizza has cooked, remove it from the oven, garnish with a little fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze, and serve immediately. Enjoy your awesome Caprese pizza!1 drizzle Balsamic glaze
If using a kitchen oven
- Preheat your oven to 500°F/260°C
- Lightly flour a baking sheet or pizza pan, and place your pizza crust on it. Brush olive oil on the pizza crust, leaving a half inch border. Then, place your mozzarella, tomatoes, and basilAll purpose flour, 1 12 inch pizza base, 1 tbsp Olive oil, 8 oz Fresh mozzarella, 2 Heirloom tomatoes (or grape tomatoes), 1 handful Basil leaves
- Place your Caprese pizza in the oven and cook for approximately 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, garnish with a little fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze, and serve immediately. Enjoy your awesome Caprese pizza!1 drizzle Balsamic glaze
Coming soon Don’t have the different cheese?
Substitute for different ones but make sure they are good to use on pizza Use flour
Make sure you flour your paddle, pizza stone, or pizza tray to avoid the crust from sticking
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
Pumpkin spice muffins are the perfect way to celebrate fall. They’re packed with all the flavors of the season, including pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.…
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to chicken wings? Look no further than our Vegetarian Buffalo Fries! Our fries are coated in…