Light and easy to make, this incredibly simple to make appetizer is just bursting with flavor! We first tasted a traditional Caprese salad on the Amalfi coast, it tasted so delicious that when we returned home, we knew that we wanted more! Our Caprese skewers give all the flavor of the salad but in handheld bites size portions – they always go down a storm!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this easy appetizer
- They are the perfect appetizer for a dinner party, stylish addition to a buffet, a lunch box treat, or a summer picnic.
- They are unashamedly simple to make!
- They are colorful, healthy, and delicious!
- They are 100% vegetarian.
Full of color and flavor, our Caprese skewers are the perfect appetizer for a party, and they always look like you’ve made so much more effort than you actually have.
What will I need to make them?
You’ll need just 4 ingredients and skewers to make this delicious Caprese skewers appetizer.
- Tomatoes – we’ve used cherry tomatoes as they were readily available, but you could also use mini-San Marzano mini tomatoes, they would be delicious, piccobella or baby plum tomatoes.
- Mozzarella – we used mozzarella pearls, they are a perfect size, but you could also use mini mozzarella balls or mozzarella that has ‘ciliegine’ written on the packet.
- Basil leaves – we bought a living basil plant and picked off the larger leaves and folded them in half, but you could also use a packet of fresh basil, if the leaves are small don’t fold them and you may want to add two instead of one.
- Balsamic glaze – you can make homemade balsamic glaze which is delicious, but you could also use store-bought balsamic glaze, try to buy a good quality glaze.
- Skewers – we used 11cm or 4″ wooden skewers to make our Caprese skewers. Skewers do come in many sizes, just remember what you are threading onto it, toothpick size won’t work as it’s too short, and you don’t want a barbecue skewer because they are too long.
Do I have to make my own balsamic glaze?
No, you don’t.
While homemade balsamic glaze tastes so much better than store-bought, not everyone has the time, or inclination, to make their own.
You can find good quality balsamic glaze in most grocery stores, so cut yourself some slack and buy a bottle!
Can you make Caprese skewers ahead of time?
Yes, you can make tomato mozzarella Caprese skewers up to 4 hours ahead of time.
Keep them in the fridge and drizzle the balsamic glaze on them just before you are about to serve them.
Recipe notes and tips
- Can’t find mini mozzarella balls or pearls?
You could cut a large mozzarella ball into chunks; it won’t look as good but it’ll still taste delicious!
How to make easy caprese skewers with step-by-step instructions
Making our Caprese skewers is so easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Take one cherry tomato and thread it on your skewer and push it right to the end.
Next, take one basil leaf, if it’s a big leaf, fold it in half, and thread it on your skewer, pushing it up to fit snugly next to the cherry tomato.
Now, take one mozzarella mini ball and thread it onto your skewer and push it up so it sits snugly next to your basil leaf, then add another basil leaf.
Repeat the sequence, cherry tomato, basil leaf, and mozzarella ball one more time.
Place the completed Caprese skewers on a serving plate and drizzle balsamic glaze over them.
Season with black pepper.
Serve to your guests and enjoy!
We hope that you enjoy making, and eating, our easy Caprese skewers and would love to hear how you got on with them.
Please leave a comment below or feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
More easy vegetarian recipes for you to try
- Caprese pasta salad – if you’re looking for something a little more filling, then our pasta salad is a great addition to your holiday table!
- Chipotle aioli – much better than store-bought, this spicy, garlicky dip can be rustled up in just 5 minutes!
- Sriracha with mayo – Creamy sriracha mayo dipping sauce is perfect for spreading on tacos, dipping veg and tortillas in and is SO easy!
- Tzatziki – refreshing cucumber, mint, and Greek yogurt dip is so tasty and easy to make, your guests will love it!
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram, for more tasty inspiration!
EASY CAPRESE SKEWERS
- 8 oz Cherry tomatoes
- 18 Basil leaves
- 1 cup Mozzarella pearls
- 1 tbsp Balsamic glaze
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Take one cherry tomato and thread it on your skewer and push it right to the end. Next, take one basil leaf, if it's a big leaf, fold it in half, and thread it on your skewer, pushing it up to fit snugly next to the cherry tomato. Now, take one mozzarella mini ball and thread it onto your skewer and push it up so it sits snugly next to your basil leaf, then add another basil leaf8 oz Cherry tomatoes, 18 Basil leaves, 1 cup Mozzarella pearls
- Repeat the sequence, cherry tomato, basil leaf, and mozzarella ball one more time. Place the completed Caprese skewers on a serving plate and drizzle balsamic glaze over them. Season with black pepper. Serve to your guests and enjoy!1 tbsp Balsamic glaze, Freshly ground black pepper
- Can’t find mini mozzarella balls or pearls?
You could cut a large mozzarella ball into chunks; it won’t look as good but it’ll still taste delicious
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
Take a look at these sweet candy kabobs from So Simple Ideas!
Did you make this recipe?
We love hearing how you went with ours recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @splash_of_taste_uk
You may also like…
Tortilla Pizza Recipe
If you’re looking for a meal that’s both delicious and easy to make, then our tortilla pizza recipe is for you. Not only is it quick to…
Air Fryer Cheese Quesadilla
Picture this: a perfectly crispy, golden brown quesadilla with melted cheese oozing out of every corner. Now imagine making that delicious snack without having to…
Leave a Reply