Delicious sweet potato fries, soft and perfectly cooked. When we have friends and family visit, we like to put a big bowl of sweet potato fries on the table, along with an array of homemade dips and sauces, it never ceases to amaze us just how quickly they get eaten, they’re gone in minutes!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- They are a real crowd pleaser and make a tasty change to regular French fries.
- They are great for games night, the perfect snack and comfort food.
- They are 100% vegetarian and vegan.
Given the choice between regular French fries and sweet potato fries, we always choose sweet potato, they are just creamier and tastier and never disappoint.
How do you cut sweet potatoes into fries?
First, you’ll need to peel your sweet potato, then cut evenly sized fries.
It’s so important that your fries are equal in size, as this means the cooking time will be the same for all of them.
If some are thicker than others, then they will take longer to cook, and you run the risk of having some overcooked or undercooked.
The perfect size to cut your sweet potato fries is 7cm/¼ inch wide
What can you eat sweet potato fries with?
Sweet potato fries are delish when dipped into your favorite sauces.
- Chipotle aioli – spicy, garlicky, creamy deliciousness, that our friends and family can’t get enough of!
- Sriracha with mayo – in 5 minutes you’ll rustle up this delicious spicy dip!
- Homemade barbecue sauce – a dreamy duo, your fries will be sensational dipped in this sauce!
- Blue cheese dip – creamy blue cheese dip that you’ll love!
- Tzatziki – Greek yoghurt with cucumber, mint, and garlic
They are awesome with burgers!
- Best seitan burger – an awesome smoky meaty tasting vegan burger that screams out for sweet potato fries!
- Vegan chicken patties – substantial and satisfying, this herby chicken burger tastes so good!
Perfect with main courses!
- Best veggie chilli con carne – this will blow you away, it is SO good and we use a secret ingredient…
How do I store them?
Naturally, our sweet potato fries are best eaten immediately, but in the rare case you do have leftovers, then wrap them up in kitchen paper and then store them in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
Want crispy sweet potato fries?
Our recipe is for soft sweet potato fries, if you want them to be crispy then soak them in water for a minimum of 30 minutes, then pat them dry.
Add them to a mixing bowl, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and toss them so they are thoroughly coated in the cornstarch.
This will then give you crispy sweet potato fries!
Sweet potato fries variations
It’s easy to add some extra flavors to your sweet potato fries, simply add the following suggestions to the oil and toss them in.
Finely grate Parmesan cheese over them as soon as you take them out of the oven.
Add rosemary and thyme for a lovely herby flavor.
Why not spice up your potato fries by adding chili powder or red pepper flakes?
Try our homemade seasonings on them.
- Taco seasoning
- Za’atar seasoning
Recipe notes and tips
- Want to make cleaning up easier?
Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Play with flavors!
Check out our main blog post for seasoning suggestions.
- Want them crispy?
We tell you how in our main blog post
How to make baked sweet potato fries with step-by-step instructions
Making our easy, baked sweet potato fries is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F.
Cut your sweet potatoes into long thin slices, approximately 7cm/¼ inch wide.
Put them in a large mixing bowl and add your olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Toss the fries, so they are evenly coated.
Place the sweet potato fries on a baking sheet, it’s important to lay them in a single layer and that they don’t touch each other.
Bake them for 15 minutes, remove them from the oven and turn each of the fries over, then return them to the oven.
Bake for a further 15 minutes, when the fries are cooked, they’ll be a lovely golden brown.
Remove them from the oven and serve immediately.