If you’re looking for the perfect way to impress your guests with a delicious and elegant potato dish, look no further than this Hasselback potatoes recipe! Thinly sliced potatoes are roasted to perfection in a buttery garlic sauce, making them crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
We love potato recipes, give us potato casserole, southern mash, fingerling potatoes, or baby roasted potatoes any day, but sometimes, you want a showstopping potato dish on your table.
That’s where the mightily impressive yet easy Hasselback potatoes come in.
Why you’ll love this stylish potato recipe
- They’re the perfect side to any meal or can be enjoyed as a tasty snack on their own.
- Great for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or a Sunday dinner.
- They make a delicious change to regular baked potatoes.
- You can make them ahead, leaving you more time with your guests.
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian and gluten-free.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
We show you just how easy it is to make perfect Hasselback potatoes everytime!
How to make Hasselback potatoes with step-by-step instructions
Making our Hasselback potatoes recipe is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe, along with the measurements in both US customary and metric, is available in the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 425°F/220°F.
How to cut Hasselback potatoes
Place a potato on a cutting board between two chopsticks or the handles of two wooden spoons.
Slice thin slices approximately ¼ inch thick but be careful not to cut any lower than 1/3 of an inch from the base of the potato, or it won’t hold together.
Repeat this process with the remaining potatoes.
Now, place the sliced potatoes on a prepared baking sheet and brush olive oil in between the potato slices.
Then, place the sliced potatoes in the oven and bake until they are tender and falling open, approximately 50 – 60 minutes.
Toward the end of baking the potatoes, make the butter topping,
Melt the butter and mix olive oil, minced garlic (or you can use garlic powder), rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and drizzle the melted butter mixture and sprinkle vegetarian Parmesan cheese over them and return them to the oven for a further 15 – 20 minutes.
Remove the cooked potatoes from the oven, brush them with any surplus butter mixture from the baking sheet, and garnish with fresh parsley or fresh herbs.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy making and eating your Hasselback potatoes and would love to hear how you got on with making them.
Please leave a comment below, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Recipe notes and expert tips
- The knife matters
You need thinly sliced potatoes, so use a sharp knife to cut Hasselback potatoes!
It’s vital that you don’t slice too close to the potato base; place chopsticks, wooden spoons, or butter knives on each side to prevent you from cutting too low.
We used olive oil, but you could easily use vegetable or avocado oil.
- Make them vegan
The only ingredient that isn’t vegan is butter, so replace it with plant-based butter.
- Go small
Use small firm potatoes and serve them as appetizers!
You can make Hasselback potatoes ahead and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with Hasselback potatoes
Hasselback potatoes are perfect when served with nut roast, lentil loaf, air fryer vegan ham, or a delicious mushroom wellington.
You can also eat them as a snack with added extras; try adding caramelized onions, shredded cheese slices, cayenne pepper, or your favorite fresh herbs.
Add what YOU love to make the most delicious Hasselback potatoes for you!
How to cook Hasselback potatoes in an air fryer
Air fryer Hasselback potatoes are easy to make; follow the preparation instructions, preheat your air fryer to 350°F/175°C, cook them for 15 minutes, then brush them with the butter mixture and cook for a further 15 minutes.
Voila! You have the perfect air fryer Hasselback potatoes!
How to store leftover Hasselback potatoes
Hasselback potatoes keep well when stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can reheat Hasselback potatoes in the oven, microwave, or air fryer.
What are Hasselback potatoes?
Hasselback potatoes are a type of potato dish that is usually roasted or baked.
They are named after the Hasselbacken hotel in Stockholm, Sweden, where they were first created.
A Hasselback potato is made by slicing the potato thinly but not all the way through so that it resembles an accordion.
This increases surface area exposure to the heat, resulting in a crispier potato.
There are many ways to season Hasselback potatoes, but some popular options include herbs, garlic, and cheese.
If you’re looking for the perfect potato for your Hasselback potatoes dish, you’ll want to use Yukon gold potatoes. They’re a perfect size and have just the right amount of starch to make them with crispy edges on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Russet potatoes or red potatoes are also a good choice for Hasselback potatoes. They’ll get nice and crispy in the oven, and their larger size means you can stuff them with more toppings.
Whatever potato you choose, make sure it’s nice and firm. You don’t want any mushy bits in your Hasselback potatoes!
More easy potato recipes for you to try at home
If you love cooking with potatoes, then you should try these delicious recipes.
- Cooking spray
- 6 Potatoes Russet or Yukon Gold, scrubbed and cleaned
- 5 tbsp Olive oil split
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter melted
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh chives chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ¾ cup Vegetarian Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C degrees
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking oilCooking spray
- Place a potato on a cutting board in between two chopsticks or the handles of two wooden spoons. Slice thin slices approximately ¼ thick but be careful not to cut any lower than 1/3 inch from the base of the potato, to ensure the potato stays intact. Repeat until you have sliced all the potatoes6 Potatoes
- Place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Brush 2 tablespoons of olive oil in between the slices and all over the potatoes. Now, place them in the oven and bake until tender and falling open, approximately 50 -60 minutes5 tbsp Olive oil
- Towards the end of baking the potatoes, make the butter topping. Melt the butter and mix olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper8 tbsp Unsalted butter, 3 cloves Garlic, 1 tbsp Fresh rosemary, 2 tbsp Fresh chives, 1 tbsp Fresh thyme, 1 tsp Kosher salt, ½ tsp Black pepper
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and drizzle the butter mixture over them, sprinkle with vegetarian Parmesan cheese, and return them to the oven for 15 – 20 minutes
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, brush them with any surplus butter from the baking sheet and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!¾ cup Vegetarian Parmesan cheese, 2 tbsp Fresh parsley
You need thinly sliced potatoes, so use a very sharp knife to cut Hasselback potatoes! Measuring
It’s vital that you don’t slice too close to the potato base, place chopsticks, wooden spoons, or butter knives on each side to prevent you from cutting too low Oil
We used olive oil, but you could easily use vegetable oil or avocado oil Make them vegan
The only ingredient that isn’t vegan is the butter, so simply replace it with plant based butter Go small
Use small firm potatoes and serve them as appetizers! Storage
You can make Hasselback potatoes ahead and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram, for more tasty inspiration!
Did you make this recipe?
We love hearing how you went with ours recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @splash_of_taste_uk
You may also like…
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Looking for a snack that’s both healthy and delicious? Look no further than our air fryer sweet potato cubes! Say goodbye to boring, bland snacks…
Air Fryer Vegan Ham
Who says vegans can’t enjoy holiday ham? Our air fryer vegan ham recipe will have you feeling festive and satisfied in no time. If you’re…
Leave a Reply