Ultra-smooth, thick, and creamy, our mashed potato recipe gives you the perfect mash, each and every time. Is there anything better than tucking into a portion of creamy mash potatoes? We’ve fine-tuned our recipe over the years so that you can recreate it for yourself and your family and become a kitchen legend!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Nothing beats homemade mashed potatoes, smooth, creamy, and delicious!
- The whole family will love it, including the kids!
- It’s the perfect side dish for Sunday lunch, Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner.
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Creamy, smooth mashed potato with no lumps, is a must in our household, it’s such a family favorite so it needs to be perfect. Each and every time.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
How to make creamy mashed potato with step-by-step instructions
Making the best mashed potatoes is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Peel your potatoes and cut them into chunks. Place the potato chunks in a large pot of salted water, and over high heat, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes, until soft.
In a colander, drain the potatoes thoroughly, return them to the pot and leave for a minute.
Add milk, cream, butter, sea salt, and pepper, and mash the hot potatoes until you have a smooth creamy consistency.
Transfer your creamy mashed potato to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh chives and serve immediately.
Enjoy your creamy mashed potatoes!
Recipe notes and tips
- Play with the flavors
Add garlic cloves, green onions, or sour cream, don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Elbow grease only!
Don’t use a food processor or blender, you’ll find that the potatoes go really glue like before you know it.
- Storing mashed potato
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to a month, ensuring that you thoroughly defrost before using.
What do I serve mashed potato with?
We love serving mashed potatoes with a vegetarian Sunday dinner.
Can I reheat mashed potatoes?
Yes, mashed potatoes reheat very well.
Simply reheat them over medium heat and add a little more unsalted butter and milk and stir constantly.
What can I make with leftover mashed potato?
Our household doesn’t understand the concept of ‘leftover’ mashed potato, but if you’ve made too much for your family, then here are a few ideas of how to use it up mashed potato fritters, vegan shepherd’s pie, or Quorn cottage pie.
Add a little cream cheese, onion, and garlic and you’ll have this delicious southern style mash!
What are the best potatoes for mashing?
Russets, Yukon Gold potatoes, Maris Piper, and King Edwards all make great fluffy mashed potatoes.
Do you peel potatoes before boiling them for mashed potatoes?
Yes and no.
You can leave the skin on a potato and boil it, once cooked and drained, you then need to carefully remove the skins before mashing.
That’s great because you’ll get a lot more of nutrients from the potato.
Not everyone has the time, or inclination, to do this, so in our easy recipe, we’ve peeled the potatoes before we cooked them.
Do I have to use a potato ricer?
No, you don’t.
We can’t pretend that a potato ricer doesn’t give your mashed potatoes a dreamily smooth consistency but it’s not an essential piece of equipment for this mashed potato recipe.
A good old-fashioned handheld potato masher will give you a smooth bowl of mashed potato, you just need to use a bit of elbow grease!
How do you store mashed potato?
Our mashed potatoes recipe keeps in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze them for up to a month, just ensure you defrost them in the fridge for 24 hours before reheating.
More easy potato recipes for you to try
- Hasselback potatoes – elegantly stylish and they taste amazing!
- Cheesy potato casserole – easy to make and a real crowd pleaser!
- Oven roasted potatoes – Crispy on the outside and beautifully fluffy on the inside, you’ve never made roast potatoes like these before!
- Hashbrown casserole – one of my family favorites and so easy to make!
- Potatoes Daphinoise – layers of thinly sliced scalloped potatoes cooked in a cheesy, creamy sauce, you have got to give them a try!
We hope you enjoy making and eating our creamy mashed potato and would love to hear how you got on with making it.
Please leave a comment below and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Mashed potato recipe
- 2 lbs Potatoes peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 ½ tblp Full fat milk
- 1 ½ tbsp Heavy cream (double)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- Fresh chives optional
- Peel your potatoes and cut them into chunks. Place the potato chunks in a large pan of salted water, and over high heat, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes, until soft. In a colander, drain the potatoes thoroughly, return them to the pan and leave for a minute2 lbs Potatoes
- Add milk, cream, butter, sea salt, and pepper, and mash the potatoes until you have a smooth creamy consistency. Transfer your creamy mashed potato to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh chives and serve immediately. Enjoy your best ever creamy mash potato!1 ½ tbsp Heavy cream (double), 1 ½ tblp Full fat milk, ½ tsp Salt, ½ tsp Black pepper, Fresh chives, 3 tbsp Butter
- Storing mashed potato
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to a month, ensuring that you thoroughly defrost before using
- Elbow grease only!
Don’t use a food processor or blender, you’ll find that the potatoes go really glue-like before you know it
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
For the step-by-step version of this recipe check out how to make creamy mashed potato.
You may also like…
You won’t be able to resist these soft and moist Pumpkin Bars infused with the rich flavors of fall, topped with a generous spread of…
Imagine waking up to a mouthwatering aroma wafting through your home, a promise of a delightful and hearty start to your day. This Overnight French…