This hashbrown casserole recipe is the perfect dish for a holiday potluck or lazy weekend brunch. Hashbrowns in a deliciously creamy cheese sauce, topped with cheese – does it get any better? It’s hearty and comforting, but also easy to make ahead of time. Plus, it’s always a hit with kids and adults alike.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this easy potato casserole
- If you like the Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole, then you’ll LOVE this!
- There’s a good chance you have all the ingredients already!
- Perfect for a family gathering, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
- This is such an easy recipe; it’ll only take you 10 minutes to prep!
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
Whether you’re serving it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this hashbrown casserole full of cheesy goodness is a winner!
How to make hashbrown casserole with step by step instructions
Making our cheesy hashbrown casserole is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C.
In a large bowl, combine your frozen shredded hashbrowns, cream of mushroom soup, melted butter, sour cream, sliced onion, dried thyme, salt, and pepper, and half of the shredded cheese, and mix until combined.
Then pour the hash brown mixture into a prepared dish, use either non stick cooking spray or butter, and bake for approximately 45 minutes uncovered.
Remove from the oven and scatter the remaining cheese (if you want a crunchy topping, you could add crushed corn flakes or Ritz crackers) and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Garnish with optional parsley, serve immediately and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy making and eating our hashbrown casserole and would love to hear how you got on with making it.
Please leave a comment below and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Recipe notes and expert tips
- Get ahead
You can make hashbrown casserole ahead, simply follow the instructions up to the point of baking, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the fridge for up to two days.
- Fresh potatoes
Use fresh potatoes if preferred, simply grate them before adding them to the casserole.
Store in the fridge for up to three days and freeze for up to three months.
How to store leftover hashbrown casserole
Store your casserole in the fridge covered for up to three days and freeze for up to three months.
Can I use frozen hashbrowns?
Yes, you can!
We use frozen shredded hashbrown potatoes for this recipe and there is no need to thaw your frozen potatoes!
Can you freeze hashbrown casserole?
Yes, you can.
Simply freeze any leftover hashbrown casserole for up to three months.
If you are batch cooking, then follow the instructions up to the point of baking and freeze the uncooked casserole.
What are hashbrowns?
A hashbrown, also known as a hashed brown, is a type of potato dish that is popular in the United States and Canada.
It is made with shredded potatoes, then frying them in a pan with butter or oil. Hashbrowns can be served as a breakfast dish, side dish, or main course.
How is this recipe different from others?
This recipe is 100% vegetarian.
Many recipes include cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, or even ground beef, which makes it totally unsuitable for vegetarians.
Hashbrown casserole recipe
- 30 oz Frozen shredded hashbrown potatoes
- 10.75 oz Cream of mushroom soup canned
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 cup Sour cream
- ½ cup Yellow onion sliced
- ½ tsp Dried thyme
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C
- In a large mixing bowl, combine frozen shredded hashbrowns, mushroom soup, melted butter, sour cream, onion, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and half of the cheese, and mix until evenly combined30 oz Frozen shredded hashbrown potatoes, 10.75 oz Cream of mushroom soup, ½ cup Butter, 1 cup Sour cream, ½ tsp Dried thyme, ½ cup Yellow onion, ½ tsp Salt, ½ tsp Pepper, 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for approximately 45 minutes uncovered, then remove from the oven, scatter the remaining cheese and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately and enjoy your hash brown casserole!
You can make hashbrown casserole ahead, simply follow the instructions up to the point of baking, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the fridge for up to two days Fresh potatoes
Use fresh potatoes if preferred, simply grate them before adding them to the casserole Storage
Store in the fridge for up to three days and freeze for up to three months
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
If you love pizza but hate soggy leftovers, then you need an air fryer in your life! You’ll always want to reheat pizza in an…
Introducing the tastiest way to enjoy a classic side dish: baked air fryer sweet potato recipe that’s as easy to make as it is delicious.…