This air fryer baked potato recipe is fantastic! The potatoes come out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner, you can top them with your favorite toppings! Plus, they’re so easy to make. Just pop them in the air fryer and let it do its thing!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this easy air fryer baked potato recipe
- If you are a beginner with your air fryer, then cooking baked potatoes are perfect to get you used to the air fryer.
- There’s no need to heat your oven, making them cost-efficient.
- They are great as a healthy lunch, side dish, or dinner.
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph.
An air fryer can make the best baked potatoes, when we first got our fryer, they were one of the first things we tried out, they came out just perfect!
How to make air fryer baked potatoes with step-by-step instructions
Making baked potatoes in the air fryer is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F/200°C.
Using a vegetable brush, wash your russet potatoes to remove dirt and then pat them dry.
Using a fork, prick holes in your potatoes, then rub them with olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place them in the air fryer basket, being careful not to overcrowd them, and bake for 35 – 45 minutes.
You’ll know when they’re cooked to perfection when you can slide a knife into the potato, and the potatoes have crispy skin yet have light and fluffy insides.
Remove the cooked potatoes from the air fryer basket using tongs and place them on your serving dish.
Using a sharp knife, cut lengthways down the potato and add butter and a topping of your choice.
We love shredded cheese, sour cream, and chives on ours!
Enjoy your perfectly cooked baked potatoes!
From oil sprays to muffin cups and from pizza pans to racks, we've got them all, and they make fantastic Christmas presents, too!
Recipe notes and expert tips
We’ve used olive oil feel free to use avocado oil.
- Size matters
The size of your potato will affect the time needed to cook, you may need more or less time.
- Watch closely
Every air fryer cooks differently, different brands and capacities can mean that your food will need a longer or shorter cooking time, so make sure you keep a close eye on them.
Should I wrap my potato in foil before air frying?
It’s not necessary to wrap your potato in foil, it will cook perfectly without foil.
However, if you like your baked potatoes extra crispy, then give the foil a try.
How do you know when a baked potato is done?
How can you tell when a baked potato is done? The easiest way is to insert a fork into the center of the potato.
If the potato is cooked through, the fork should slide in easily. You can also test for doneness by giving the potato a gentle squeeze. If it gives quickly, it’s done.
Finally, you can check the internal temperature of the potato with a meat thermometer. It should be between 210 and 215 degrees Fahrenheit.
More easy air fryer recipes for you to try at home
Like our air fryer potatoes and want to air fry more food? Check out these easy recipes!
- Baby potatoes in the air fryer
- Potato skins in the air fryer
- Masala fries in the air fryer
- Asparagus in the air fryer
- Broccoli in the air fryer
Easy Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe
- 4 russet potatoes medium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F/200°C.
- Wash the potatoes with a vegetable brush to remove any dirt and then pat them dry. Using a fork, prick holes in your potatoes. Then rub them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place them in the air fryer basket and bake for 35-45 minutes turning halfway.4 russet potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- To test they are cooked to perfection, slide a knife through the potatoes, they should be nice and crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Add butter to each potato and a topping of your choice. They come out perfectly every time, enjoy your air fryer baked potatoes!4 tablespoons butter
We’ve used olive oil feel free to use avocado oil. Size matters:
The size of your potato will affect the amount of time needed to cook, you may need more or less time. Watch closely:
Every air fryer cooks differently, different brands and capacities can mean that your food, will need a longer or shorter cooking time, so make sure you keep a close eye on them.
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
Santa Whoopie Pies are a game-changer for your holiday celebrations! It’s perfect for adding a dash of festive fun to your Christmas gatherings or for…
Simple and cozy, Mushroom Risotto is the perfect dish for those times when you want something both comforting and a bit fancy. Creamy, rich, and…