A lesser-known traditional Mexican cocktail, the tequila el diablo rojo, is a cocktail that we discovered in Arizona and knew that we had to make it when we got back home. It looks great and is the perfect blending of tequila, fresh lime juice, and ginger beer, the blackcurrant liqueur adds a sweetness and a visual elegance that makes this cocktail a real winner!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this tequila cocktail
- It’s a light and refreshing cocktail, a perfect drink for a long hot summer’s day.
- It takes just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make.
- It’s not particularly well known, so there’s every chance that your guests won’t have tried one before.
One sip of this delicious tequila diablo rojo and you’ll be wondering why you’ve never made it before. Quick, delicious, and worthy of being on your favorite cocktails list.
What is an el diablo rojo cocktail?
Ask the same people, and they have probably never heard of an el diablo rojo cocktail.
But this unsung hero of the traditional tequila cocktail range really should be more well-known because it’s a captivating mix of tequila, creme de cassis – blackcurrant liqueur, fresh lime juice, and ginger beer.
Which type of glass is used when making an El Diablo?
A tequila el diablo rojo looks fantastic once the creme de cassis is poured in, so we recommend a highball glass to really show it off.
Recipe tips and notes
- Use a mid-range tequila brand, don’t go budget but equally don’t buy top shelf. We used tequila Blanco in our el diablo rojo.
How to make a tequila el diablo rojo with step-by-step instructions
A complete printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
In a highball glass, add a good handful of ice cubes (flower ice cubes would look great) so they fill the glass halfway.
Then add tequila, fresh lime juice, and sugar syrup.
Now gently stir so that the liquids are evenly combined, then top up your glass with ginger beer and stir once again.
Now, slowly pour your creme de cassis into your glass and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Serve and enjoy – cheers!
We hope you enjoy making our tequila el diablo rojo cocktail and would love to hear how you got on with it.
Please leave a comment or ask any questions that you may have.
More tequila cocktails for you to enjoy
Tequila el Diablo Rojo
- In a highball glass, add a good handful of ice cubes, so they fill the glass halfwayIce cubes
- Then add tequila, fresh lime juice, and sugar syrup2 oz Tequila, ½ oz Fresh lime juice, ½ oz Sugar syrup
- Now gently stir so that the liquids are evenly combined, then top up your glass with ginger beer and stir once againGinger beer
- Now, slowly pour your creme de cassis into your glass and garnish with pomegranate seeds2 tsp Creme de cassis, Pomegranate seeds
- Serve and enjoy – cheers!
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
A Kir Royale is the perfect way to add a touch of luxury to any occasion. Made with Champagne and crème de cassis, this classic…
This classic aviation cocktail recipe is the perfect drink for any occasion! Whether you’re celebrating a special event or just enjoying a night in with…