A tasty vegan ratatouille recipe that all of your guests will enjoy
This tasty vegan ratatouille recipe really does make my mouth water.
It has a wonderful depth to it, it’s full of fresh vegetables and it’s very filling.
Is there any meat in ratatouille?
Not in this one, no.
This is a wonderful mixture of aubergines (eggplants), peppers, onions and courgettes (zucchini) .
We mix them with garlic, thyme and basil and create a wonderful tasty tomato sauce and my goodness, it’s fantastic!
Should I have white or brown rice with ratatouille?
Of course that’s totally up to you.
However it is worth knowing that brown rice has all the fibre still in it, whereas white rice has had it all removed.
Vegans do tend to get a good deal of fibre but it’s good to top up.
Just make sure that you read the cooking instructions for brown rice as it takes longer to cook than white rice.
What can I serve vegan ratatouille with?
As you can see, we served ours with rice but you could quite easily serve it with a vegan pasta.
A nice hunk of fresh bread is an excellent food to serve this with, you can mop up any excess sauce with it.
You can also serve any leftovers that you may have over a nice hot baked potato or even have them for lunch the next day on toast – it’s so versatile!
How do I make tasty vegan ratatouille from scratch?
Ratatouille isn’t a complex dish to make, all you need to do is to follow our simple recipe giving you easy step by step instructions and you’ll soon have a tasty meal to enjoy.
If you are a cook who uses the cup measurement system, then that’s no problem! Simply press the toggle button underneath the list of ingredients and you’ll have them converted faster than you can say ratatouille (go on, give it a try)…
Tasty Vegan Ratatouille
- Large pan
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Olive oil
- 2 Aubergines (eggplant)
- 3 Courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 Red onions
- 3 Yellow or red peppers
- 6 Ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 25 g Fresh basil
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- 800 g Tinned tomatoes – the best you can afford
- ½ Lemon
Prepare your vegetables
- You need to get this done first, trim the aubergines and cut them into chunks, you need them to be around 3cm chunks, but don't get too hung up about them
- Then to the courgettes which also need trimming and cutting into the same sized chunks
- Peel and trim your onions and cut into wedges
- Then it's the peppers turn, trim and once again cut them into chunks
- Now prepare the garlic, peel them and finely slice them
- Pick the basil leaves and set them aside and chop up the stalks
- Remove the thyme leaves and discard the stalks
Cooking the ratatouille
- Now it's time to cook! Heat up a couple of tablespoons of oil in your pan (you'll need a pretty large pan)
- Now split the prepared vegetables in two or three (depending on how big your pan is) and fry them until they look a lovely golden brown, this may take 5 -10 minutes for each batch but it's worth it – set them aside
- Once all of the vegetables have been fried and set aside, you need to add a little oil and then put in the basil stalks, the garlic and onion and fry until they are nice and golden brown, probably around 10 minutes
- Now put in all of the vegetables you fried earlier and add the tinned tomatoes along wit the balsamic vinegar and season to taste
- It'll need a good old stir now and what you want to do is to break up the timed tomatoes using a spoon, once you've done that then put the lid on and simmer it for around 30 minutes
- You should have a wonderful sweet sticky pan of delicious vegetables now and your almost there
- Transfer to bowls and place the basil leaves on top