If you’re looking for a hearty, yet meat-free meal, look no further than this vegetarian sausage casserole recipe. Packed with protein and fiber, this casserole is sure to fill you up without weighing you down. Plus, it’s easy to make ahead of time and can be easily reheated for busy weeknights.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this vegetarian casserole
- It’s the perfect family comfort food on a cold day and nobody will miss the meat sausages.
- Easy to make and you can make it ahead of time too.
- A real crowd pleaser, just watch how quickly this casserole dish gets eaten!
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian in this tasty dish.
How to make vegetarian sausage casserole with step by step instructions
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Over medium heat, add oil to the pan or large casserole dish and heat until hot. Now add sausages and cook until browned. Then, move the sausages to one side of the pan.
Now, add onion and cook for approximately 3 minutes until it’s soft. Add peppers and mix with the sausages.
Add garlic, smoked paprika, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for approximately 1 minute, then add red wine and simmer until it’s reduced.
You could use red or white wine but we prefer red.
Now crumble vegetable stock into the casserole, add tinned tomatoes and stir to combine.
Bring to a gentle boil and turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add in the kidney, cannellini, and haricot beans, stir to combine, and cook for another 6 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe notes and expert tips
- Sounds obvious but vegetarian sausages are incredibly important, so buy the best quality that you can afford.
- Make it a vegan sausage casserole by using vegan sausages.
- You can use frozen vegetarian sausages which are great for store cupboard dinners, just make sure you check the cooking instructions on the packet.
- Play around with the ingredients, add a marmite or vegetarian version of Worcestershire sauce for a delicious touch of umami flavor.
- Beans; we used kidney beans, cannellini beans, and haricot beans drained and rinsed but if you haven’t got them in your store cupboard, then swap them! Butter beans work great too!
- Taste, taste, taste! We can’t stress this enough, the more you taste your casserole as you are making it, the more you can tailor the taste to create the perfect comfort food.
What to serve with vegetarian sausage casserole
We love to serve our casserole with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or even on a bed of rice.
Chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned?
We use canned chopped tomatoes, purely because they are much quicker and easier.
You could use plum tomatoes, simply crush them up with a wooden spoon while cooking the casserole.
What can I have with veggie sausages?
This vegetarian sausage casserole is the perfect dish to have with veggie sausages.
It really is a hearty and filling comfort food dinner.
What can I use instead of red wine in a sausage casserole?
You don’t have to use red wine in your vegetarian sausage casserole.
You could just use more vegetable stock.
If you are trying to avoid the alcoholic content of red wine then why not use a nonalcoholic red wine? There are many good ones available now.
Other things that you could try are grape juice or even cranberry juice, test these out and use the one that you prefer.
How long does this vegetarian sausage casserole last in the fridge?
Well, we don’t actually think that you’ll have any casserole left over to keep in the fridge because it’s a dish that you can’t stop eating.
BUT if you do then it’ll be fine to keep it for two to three days in an airtight container.
You can also freeze this amazing vegetarian sausage casserole and then you’ll have easy comfort food ready made whenever you need it.
More easy vegetarian recipes for you to try at home
If you like our sausage casserole, why not try these easy casserole dishes?
Cheesy broccoli casserole – the perfect way to get your kids eating more vegetables!
Hashbrown casserole – the perfect brunch recipe
Corn casserole – one of the first sides to disappear on our family table!
Potato casserole – cheesy and so easy to make, you’ll love this recipe!
Vegetarian sausage casserole
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 12 Vegetarian sausages
- 1 Red onion diced
- 2 Red peppers finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 3 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- ½ cup Red wine optional
- 2 Vegetable stock cubes
- 42 oz Tinned tomatoes chopped
- 14 oz tinned Kidney beans
- 14 oz tinned Cannellini beans
- 14 oz tinned Haricot beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to the pan and heat until hot. Now add sausages and cook until browned. Then, move the sausages to one side of the pan2 tbsp Olive oil, 12 Vegetarian sausages
- Now, add onion and cook for approximately 3 minutes until it's soft. Add peppers and mix with the sausages1 Red onion, 2 Red peppers
- Add garlic, smoked paprika, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for approximately 1 minute, then add red wine and simmer until it's reduced2 Cloves Garlic, 3 tsp Smoked paprika, 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, ½ cup Red wine, Salt and pepper
- Now crumble vegetable stock into the casserole, add tinned tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil and turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally2 Vegetable stock cubes, 42 oz Tinned tomatoes
- Add in the kidney, cannellini, and haricot beans, stir to combine, and cook for another 6 minutes. Serve and enjoy!14 oz tinned Kidney beans, 14 oz tinned Cannellini beans, 14 oz tinned Haricot beans
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
Did you make this recipe?
We love hearing how you went with ours recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @splash_of_taste_uk
You may also like…
Tortilla Pizza Recipe
If you’re looking for a meal that’s both delicious and easy to make, then our tortilla pizza recipe is for you. Not only is it quick to…
Air Fryer Cheese Quesadilla
Picture this: a perfectly crispy, golden brown quesadilla with melted cheese oozing out of every corner. Now imagine making that delicious snack without having to…
Leave a Reply