If you’re anything like us, then you’ll love the summer, long warm days, alfresco dining and sharing good times with friends and family.
It’s always good to have a stock of easy summer cocktail recipes and one of our favorites, is our vodka sunrise drinks.
Using just 3 ingredients, these fruity cocktails couldn’t be any easier and are great for a summer party, making on your boat or a delicious cocktail drink after a hard day at work!
An easy 3 ingredients, 3 minute refreshing easy summer cocktail – what’s not to like?
A perfect blend of three ingredients, vodka, orange juice and grenadine served over ice.
With a cherry or orange slice garnish, this is a visually stunning drink, and it also tastes delicious.
Is this like a tequila sunrise?
It’s based on a classic tequila sunrise drink but instead of using tequila, we use vodka.
So, this is the perfect fruity drink recipe if you’re all out of tequila.
What is the difference between a vodka sunrise and a sunset?
In a vodka sunrise recipe, the grenadine is poured into the glass last, it then makes its way to the bottom and sits there like a sun rising as the yellow of the orange surrounds it.
In a vodka sunset, you’d either use red soda water that can float on top of the orange juice, or you stir it all together, so it becomes a stunning red sunset.
Can I make this recipe into a mocktail?
Yes, you can and we’ve got the perfect recipe for you, so check out our vodka sunrise mocktail (coming soon) and have a look at our other mocktail recipes too.
Can I use shop bought orange juice?
Yes, you can.
Freshly squeezed orange juice will always taste better but not everyone has the time to squeeze oranges.
Just make sure you buy a good quality orange juice your vodka sunrise relies heavily on the flavor of the orange juice so you need it to be good.
Is grenadine an alcohol?
No, grenadine is not an alcoholic drink.
Grenadine is a bar syrup used to flavor both cocktails and mocktails.
Is it vegan?
Yes, our vodka sunrise is vegan, although we always recommend that you check the labels of any product you buy to ensure that recipes haven’t changed – you don’t want any nasty surprises!
What equipment will I need?
All you’ll need to make your vodka sunrise is a highball glass and a cocktail jigger.
How can I store it?
A tasty vodka sunrise only takes 3 minutes to make, so it’s probably worth making it on demand.
However, if you do want to get ahead then you could always mix the vodka and grenadine and store them in the fridge.
Don’t add ice or it’ll dilute the drinks and always add the grenadine when you are about to serve them.
Recipe notes and tips
- Don’t have a cocktail umbrella?
Then use an orange slice as garnish.
- Not got a jigger?
That’s no problem, use a measuring jug or a shot glass instead.
- Want to make this cocktail ahead?
Remember not to add ice as it will dilute the drink and don’t add the grenadine until you are ready to drink it or you won’t get the stunning sunrise effect.
How to make a vodka sunrise – step by step instructions
Our delicious vodka sunrise cocktail is really easy to make if you follow our simple instructions.
Full measurement conversion is available in our recipe card.
You’ll need ice, vodka, orange juice and grenadine.
In a highball glass add a generous handful of ice cubes. Next, pour 50ml of vodka, now pour 150ml of fresh orange juice.
Now it’s time to pour 15ml of grenadine syrup to create your sunrise.
We garnished our vodka sunrise with an umbrella and a maraschino cherry.
Summer sunrise – serve to your friends and enjoy!
We hope that you enjoy making our vodka sunrise recipe, then we’d love to hear from you and how you got on.
Please do leave a comment below and if you have any questions on any of our recipes, then please just ask.
More vodka cocktails for you to try
- Strawberry vodka lemonade – the perfect summer cocktail bursting with strawberry flavor!
- Lemon drop martini – one of our all-time favorites, this is a lemon powerhouse of a drink!
- Pornstar martini – this has taken the world by storm, classy and full of passion fruit flavor!
- Espresso martini – even if you don’t like coffee, you’ll love this cocktail – give it a go!
BEST VODKA SUNRISE
- Highball glass
- 50 ml Vodka
- 150 ml Orange juice
- 15 ml Grenadine
- It's time to make your vodka sunrise
- In a highball glass add a generous handful of ice cubes. Next, pour your vodka, now pour your fresh orange juice. Now it's time to pour the grenadine syrup to create your sunriseIce, 50 ml Vodka, 150 ml Orange juice, 15 ml Grenadine
- We garnished our vodka sunrise with an umbrella and a maraschino cherry
- Summer sunrise – serve to your friends and enjoy
- If you don’t have a cocktail umbrella, then use an orange slice as garnish
- Not got a jigger? That’s no problem, use a measuring jug or a shot glass instead
- If you are making your drinks ahead, remember not to add ice as it will dilute the drink and don’t add the grenadine until you are ready to drink it or you won’t get the stunning sunrise effect