Air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for any meal! They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and have a delicious flavor that will have everyone asking for seconds. Plus, they are so easy to make – toss them in the air fryer and let it do its magic!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
We have to admit being a little obsessed and love Brussels sprouts recipes, we love Sriracha Brussels sprouts, honey roasted Brussels sprouts, balsamic vinegar Brussels sprouts, Brussels sprouts bites, and Brussels sprouts sliders, they are just SO good!
Why you’ll love air fried smashed Brussels sprouts
- Make them with all those leftover Brussels sprouts, meaning zero food waste.
- They make the perfect side dish for a Sunday dinner, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- The kids LOVE them, and it’s a great way to get them to eat veggies.
- You don’t need to turn your oven on, which makes them cost-efficient.
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
Crispy Brussels sprouts smashed with a cheesy spicy coating is the perfect way to use up any leftover Brussels sprouts from a holiday gathering.
How to cook air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts with step-by-step instructions
Making smashed Brussels sprouts in the air fryer is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Trim your uncooked Brussels sprouts to remove the stalk and outer leaves.
Add half the salt to a saucepan, half full of water, and bring it to a boil.
Add your fresh Brussels sprouts and boil for approximately 5 – 10 minutes, depending on their size, when ready, they will be tender but not soft.
Preheat your air fryer to 400F/200C.
Drain thoroughly, and then, using a kitchen towel, pat them dry.
In a mixing bowl, toss your Brussels sprouts gently in olive oil, red pepper chili flakes, garlic powder, half of the vegetarian grated Parmesan cheese, the remaining salt, and black pepper.
Place your Brussels sprouts on a cutting board in a single layer and, using a sturdy drinking glass or jar, press down on each Brussels sprout to flatten and smash them.
Warning: Do not use too much force, or the glass may break, and you will injure yourself!
Place your smashed Brussels sprouts in your air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry for 3- 4 minutes (depending on size).
Then toss halfway through to ensure an even cook and add the remaining vegetarian Parmesan cheese and air fry for 3 – 4 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown.
Remove your Brussels sprouts from the air fryer basket and serve immediately!
Enjoy your delicious air fryer Brussels sprouts!
Recipe notes and expert tips
- Be careful
Choose a sturdy glass or jar to smash your Brussels sprouts, and be careful not to apply too much pressure, or the glass may shatter, and you could be injured.
Store air-fried Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, do not freeze.
This tasty recipe can be made in the oven or air fryer, check it out.
- Watch closely
Every air fryer cooks differently, different brands and capacities can mean that your food will need a longer or shorter cooking time, so make sure you keep a close eye on them.
What do I serve air-fried Brussels sprouts with?
They make an excellent side for a family gathering, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
More seasonings to use with air fried smashed Brussels sprouts
How do I store leftover air fried smashed Brussels sprouts?
Your air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts will keep for up to three days stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
We do not recommend freezing them or using frozen Brussels sprouts.
More easy air fryer recipes for you to try at home
If you love our air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts, why not try these tasty recipes?
- Air fried asparagus – perfectly cooked and coated with delicious cheese.
- Air fried maple roasted carrots – easy carrots coated in a delicious maple coating.
- Air fried Brussels sprouts – cheesy Brussels sprouts cooked to perfection.
- Air fried zucchini fries – the perfect way to sneak veggies into your kids diet!
- Air fried mushrooms – bursting with flavor, there’s no easier way to make them!
Air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts recipe
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed with husks removed
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- ¼ tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ⅓ cup Vegetarian Parmesan cheese finely grated and divided
- 2 tsp Kosher salt divided
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- Pre heat your oven to 425°F/210°C.
- Using a saucepan half full of water, add half the salt and bring to a boil. Add your Brussels sprouts and boil for approx. 5-10 minutes, until tender. Drain and pat dry.1 lb Brussels sprouts, 2 tsp Kosher salt
- In a bowl, toss your Brussels sprouts with olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, half of the vegetarian Parmesan cheese, the other half of the salt, and black pepper.2 tbsp Olive oil, ¼ tsp Red pepper flakes, 1 tsp Garlic powder, ⅓ cup Vegetarian Parmesan cheese, ½ tsp Black pepper
- Now place your Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer, using a sturdy glass or jar press down on each Brussels sprout to flatten/smash.
- Now roast your smashed Brussels sprouts for 10 minutes, then take them out of the oven sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese and bake for a further 10 minutes until they are super crispy and golden brown.
- Once cooked, serve immediately! Enjoy your smashed Brussels sprouts!
Choose a sturdy glass or jar to smash your Brussels sprouts and be careful not to apply too much pressure or the glass may shatter and you could be injured. Storage
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, do not freeze.
This tasty recipe can be made in the oven or air fryer, check it out. Watch closely
Every air fryer cooks differently, different brands and capacities can mean that your food, will need either a longer or shorter cooking time, so make sure you keep a close eye on them.
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
You won’t be able to resist these soft and moist Pumpkin Bars infused with the rich flavors of fall, topped with a generous spread of…
Imagine waking up to a mouthwatering aroma wafting through your home, a promise of a delightful and hearty start to your day. This Overnight French…