This homemade sweet potato pie recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the fall season! Made with fresh sweet potatoes, this pie is full of flavor and has a wonderfully moist texture. The delicious filling is made with a mix of brown sugar and spices and is topped with whipped cream. This pie is sure to be a hit at your next family gathering or holiday party!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this easy pie recipe
- Move over pumpkin pie, this is going to become a new family favorite!
- Nothing says fall dessert or Thanksgiving like a sweet potato pie!
- You can make this pie ahead of time, leaving you more time to spend with your guests on the big day.
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
The best sweet potato pies are homemade, filled with love, and brimming with happiness, taking you back to happy times filled with family and friends.
How to make sweet potato pie with step by step instructions
Making our sweet potato pie is easy if you follow our simple instructions
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 350F/175C.
Place the fresh sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, with the cut side facing down, and, using a fork or a paring knife, prick holes in the skins.
Now, line the inside of your frozen pie crust with parchment paper, fill it with rice or dry beans, and place it alongside the sweet potatoes.
Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, turning halfway to ensure an even cook.
When the potatoes are ready, they’ll be fork tender, remove them from the oven and let them cool until you can handle them.
The pie crust should be golden, and if it is, remove it from the oven at the same time as the sweet potatoes and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
When the potato flesh can be handled, peel off the skins and transfer the flesh to a large mixing bowl and, using a potato masher or fork, roughly mash the potatoes.
Then whisk the potatoes, and add one egg at a time, whisking until each egg is incorporated.
Then whisk in melted butter, cinnamon, dark brown sugar, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and salt into the mashed sweet potatoes, then add the half and half and whisk until fully combined.
Place your cooled pie crust in a pie dish and pour in the sweet potato pie mixture. Place it in the oven and bake until the filling slightly puffs at the edges and when a toothpick is inserted, it comes out clean, approximately 45 – 55 minutes.
When the sweet potato pie is ready, remove it from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
Garnish with optional whipped cream, cool whip, or ice cream.
Enjoy your sweet potato pie!
Recipe notes and expert tips
- All puffed up
You’ll notice that the pie filling is all puffed up when you remove it from the oven, but it will settle as it cools.
- Canned sweet potatoes
If time is against you, you could use canned potatoes, just make sure that you drain them well or your pie crust will become soggy.
Store in the fridge for up to three days and freeze for up to three months.
Can I make it ahead
It’s perfect to make ahead.
Yes, you can make ahead and store sweet potato pie ahead of time, simply cool the pie completely and then store it covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze sweet potato pie?
Yes, southern sweet potato pie freezes well, cover the baked pie with aluminum foil and store it in a freezer safe container for up to three months.
Remove it from the freezer the night before you want to serve it and place it in the fridge to defrost.
How long does sweet potato pie last?
When stored in the fridge and covered, sweet potato pie will keep for up to three days.
More easy dessert recipes for you to try at home
If you love our sweet potato pie, then you should try these easy dessert recipes.
- Red velvet cake – a stylish addition to any holiday table!
- Baked Alaska – a cake base, covered in ice cream, and coated in meringue – then baked in the oven!
- Chocolate truffles – homemade balls of deliciousness on your holiday table!
- No bake Oreo cheesecake – easy, yet impressive, the perfect make ahead dessert!
Sweet potato pie recipe
- 3 Sweet potatoes scrubbed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 x 9 Inch frozen pie shell
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup Packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tsp Nutmeg ground or freshly grated
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1½ Cups Half and half
- Whipped cream, cool whip, or ice cream optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet with the cut side facing down and prick small holes in the skins with a fork or a paring knife. Line the inside of your frozen pie crust with parchment paper and place it on the baking sheet alongside the potatoes, then fill the shell with rice or dry beans3 Sweet potatoes, 1 x 9 Inch frozen pie shell
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, turning halfway to ensure an even cook. When the potatoes are cooked, you'll be able to easily insert a fork or knife into them. Remove them from the oven and let them cool until you can handle them. The pie crust should be golden and if it is, remove the pie crust from the oven at the same time as the potatoes, and place it on a wire rack to cool
- When the potato flesh can be handled peel off the skins and transfer the soft potato to a large mixing bowl and, using a potato masher or fork roughly mash the potatoes. Whisk the potatoes and add one egg at a time, whisking until each egg is incorporated. Then, whisk in the melted butter. cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Then whisk in half and half2 large Eggs, 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, 1 tsp Cinnamon, ½ cup Packed dark brown sugar, 1 tsp Ground ginger, ½ tsp Nutmeg, ¾ tsp Salt, 1½ Cups Half and half
- Place the pie crust in a pie pan and pour in your sweet potato mixture. Bake until the filling slightly puffs at the edges and a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 45 – 55 minutes
- When ready, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. When cool garnish with optional whip cream, cool whip, or ice cream. Enjoy your sweet potato pie!Whipped cream, cool whip, or ice cream
You’ll notice that the pie filling is all puffed up when you remove it from the oven, but it will settle as it cools Canned sweet potatoes
If time is against you, you could use canned potatoes, just make sure that you drain them well or your pie crust will become soggy Storage
Store in the fridge for up to three days and freeze for up to three months
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram, for more tasty inspiration!
Did you make this recipe?
We love hearing how you went with ours recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @splash_of_taste_uk
You may also like…
Tortilla Pizza Recipe
If you’re looking for a meal that’s both delicious and easy to make, then our tortilla pizza recipe is for you. Not only is it quick to…
Air Fryer Cheese Quesadilla
Picture this: a perfectly crispy, golden brown quesadilla with melted cheese oozing out of every corner. Now imagine making that delicious snack without having to…
Leave a Reply