Who doesn’t love chocolate truffles? They are the perfect bite of sweetness, and with this recipe, you can make them at home! These easy truffles are made with rich chocolate and cream, and they melt in your mouth. They’re perfect for a special occasion, a romantic night in, or just because!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this easy recipe
- You can make it a family affair; kids love making chocolate truffles!
- They make tasty gifts for Christmas and Valentine’s.
- Customize them any way you like to get the look and flavors YOU want!
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
Homemade truffles make the most thoughtful of gifts and they taste SO good!
How to make homemade chocolate truffles with step by step instructions
Making homemade chocolate truffles recipe is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A full printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
In a small saucepan, bring your heavy cream to a simmer, add any flavorings you’d like to include at this stage, and if you do, skip adding the vanilla in the next step.
Using a bain Marie, place your chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl, add unsalted butter and vanilla extract and pour the hot cream into the melted chocolate.
Stir until all the ingredients have melted into the cream.
Pour the chocolate mixture into a shallow bowl and cover the surface of the mixture with kitchen wrap, this is so no condensation forms, and place it in the fridge to chill for 1½ – 2 hours.
When the chocolate has chilled, using a cookie scoop, scoop the mixture into balls, approximately 2 teaspoons in size,
Using your hands, make them into ball shapes and roll them in your preferred toppings, you can use unsweetened cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts, chocolate coating, chocolate sprinkles, powdered sugar, shredded coconut, or anything you like the taste of!
Store the chocolate truffles in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy your truffles!
We hope you enjoy making our chocolate truffle recipe and would love to hear how you got on with them.
Please feel free to comment below and ask any questions you may have.
Recipe notes and expert tips
Make sure you break your chocolate into pieces before melting or you could use good quality chocolate chips.
You’ll need to keep the truffles in the fridge because they contain cream, they’ll last for up to 2 weeks.
What are chocolate truffles?
Chocolate truffles are small, round balls of chocolate ganache that are coated in cocoa powder.
Chocolate ganache is made from a mixture of chocolate, cream, and butter, and they have a smooth, creamy texture. Chocolate truffles are very rich and decadent, and they are often eaten as a special treat.
Quality chocolate matters
There are a few things to consider when choosing the best chocolate to make chocolate truffles with. The first is the type of chocolate.
There are three main types of chocolate: milk, dark, and white. Milk chocolate is the sweetest and most creamy, while dark chocolate is rich and intense. White chocolate is mild and often used in combination with other flavors.
The second thing to consider is the quality of the chocolate. Higher quality chocolates will have a smoother texture and richer flavor. They will also melt more evenly, which is important for creating smooth truffles.
Finally, think about what kind of flavor you want your truffles to have. If you want a classic flavor, milk or dark chocolate is a good choice. If you want something bolder, go for dark chocolate.
How far in advance can chocolate truffles be made?
You can make the chocolate truffle mixture up to 3 days in advance, then simply scoop them out and follow the recipe instructions.
Store your homemade chocolate truffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
When you want to serve them, just remove them from the fridge and allow them to become room temperature.
More easy dessert recipes for you to try at home
If you like our chocolate truffle recipe, then you should give these recipes a try
- Baked Alaska – ice cream in the oven – are we mad?
- Christmas sugar cookies – beautifully sweet cookies
- White chocolate mousse – chocolatey heaven
- Nutella pizza – if you’ve never tried a dessert pizza before, then this is the one to try!
- Apple crumble – deliciously satisfying!
Chocolate truffles made easy
- ⅔ cup Heavy cream
- Add Flavor; Add your favorite liqueur once the chocolate has cooled slightly. Add cinnamon sticks, or extracts such as peppermint, coconut, orange, almond, or Amaretto to the cream and ignore using vanilla extract in further step
- 8 oz Chocolate use good quality
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Add toppings; Cocoa powder, chopped nuts, finely shredded coconut, sprinkles, finely chopped chocolate, crushed cookies, or crushed cereal
- In a small saucepan, bring your heavy cream to a simmerAdd Flavor; Add your favorite liqueur once the chocolate has cooled slightly. Add cinnamon sticks, or extracts such as peppermint, coconut, orange, almond, or Amaretto to the cream and ignore using vanilla extract in further step
- Place your chocolate into a heatproof bowl, add butter and vanilla, pour the hot cream over them and stir to let the chocolate melt into the cream. If needed use a Bain Maire to melt the ingredients⅔ cup Heavy cream, 8 oz Chocolate, 1 tbsp Butter, ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a shallow bowl or oven dish and cover the surface with kitchen wrap (so no condensation can form) and place in the fridge to chill for 1½ – 2 hours
- When chilled, using a cookie scoop, scoop the chocolate mixture into balls, approximately 2 teaspoons in size. Set aside for 20 – 30 minutes to dry
- Roll them in your preferred toppings and serve at room temperature – enjoy!Add toppings; Cocoa powder, chopped nuts, finely shredded coconut, sprinkles, finely chopped chocolate, crushed cookies, or crushed cereal
Make sure you break your chocolate into pieces before melting or you could use good quality chocolate chips Storage
You’ll need to keep the truffles in the fridge because they contain cream, they’ll last for up to 2 weeks
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
If you love pizza but hate soggy leftovers, then you need an air fryer in your life! You’ll always want to reheat pizza in an…
Introducing the tastiest way to enjoy a classic side dish: baked air fryer sweet potato recipe that’s as easy to make as it is delicious.…