The perfect summer salad, this easy tomato, onion, and cucumber salad is bursting with flavor! Lime juice and cilantro give it a zesty summer taste. We love the simplicity of this salad and the fact that it’s ready in just 5 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Why you’ll love this super simple salad recipe
- It’s super simple, onions, diced tomatoes, and sliced cucumbers in a simple dressing mean that it’ll be on the table in 5 minutes!
- The perfect summer salad, you can play with the ingredients to suit you.
- A light, tasty salad makes this the perfect side dish or picnic salad.
- It’s 100% vegetarian and vegan.
Crunchy onion, cucumber, and tomato salad, with a fresh citrus dressing that pops with flavor, is our ‘go-to’ salad recipe when we’re in a hurry.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll need all the ingredients shown in the photograph below.
How to make onion and cucumber salad with step-by-step instructions
Making our onion, tomato, and cucumber salad is so easy if you follow our simple instructions.
A complete printable recipe and the measurements in both US customary and metric are available in the recipe card below.
First, roughly slice your English cucumber and then slice into chunky eights, and then chop your tomato into eights; add both the diced tomatoes and sliced cucumber to a large bowl.
Add diced sweet onion, chopped cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Mix to combine and then serve immediately.
Enjoy your super fresh salad!
Recipe notes and expert tips
- Make it sweeter
Use a red onion instead.
You can store your onion, cucumber, and tomato salad in the fridge for a couple of hours; we don’t recommend freezing it.
What tomatoes should I use?
Fresh tomatoes, the fresher and riper, the better!
Fresh cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, salad tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, or plum tomatoes are usually best for a tomato salad.
Play with the flavors
The thing we love about recipes is that they evolve; you try them one way and then add and change them the next time.
We always recommend following our recipe the first time you make it, but then change it up and add a little of what you love.
Instead of fresh cilantro, try fresh dill, which will enhance the citrus taste of the lime juice.
Add a little Italian seasoning for a savory, earthy taste to your onion, cucumber, and tomato salad.
Instead of fresh lime juice, maybe add a little olive oil or even vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar.
Experiment, and you’ll soon have the perfect cucumber, tomato, and onion salad for you!
What do I serve this salad with?
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can make our summer salad a couple of hours ahead.
Make it and store it in the fridge, then stir it before serving.
We don’t recommend freezing this onion, cucumber, tomato salad, as tomatoes and cucumbers don’t freeze well and end up a mushy mess.
More salad recipes for you to try
If you like our onion, cucumber tomato salad, then why not try our other easy salads?
- Indian onion salad
- Caprese pasta salad
- Beetroot, and grilled halloumi salad
- Roasted beetroot and feta salad.
Tomato, Onion, and Cucumber Salad
- 1 English cucumber Sliced and quartered
- 16 Cherry tomatoes cut into eights
- 1 small Red onion diced
- 1 handful Cilantro roughly chopped
- ½ Lime juice
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- First, roughly slice your English cucumber and then slice them into chunky eights, and then chop your tomato into eights, add both the diced tomatoes and sliced cucumber, to a large bowl. Add diced sweet onion, chopped cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine and then serve immediately. Enjoy your super fresh salad!1 English cucumber, 16 Cherry tomatoes, 1 small Red onion, 1 handful Cilantro, ½ Lime juice, 1 pinch Salt, 1 pinch Pepper
- Make it sweeter
Use a red onion instead
You can store your onion, cucumber, tomato salad in the fridge for a couple of hours, we don’t recommend freezing it
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
Santa Whoopie Pies are a game-changer for your holiday celebrations! It’s perfect for adding a dash of festive fun to your Christmas gatherings or for…
Simple and cozy, Mushroom Risotto is the perfect dish for those times when you want something both comforting and a bit fancy. Creamy, rich, and…