The only authentic vegan Thai coconut curry soup recipe you’ll ever want to try!
I have to say, that just typing the words ‘vegan Thai coconut curry soup‘ really does make my mouth water.
This recipe always knocks our socks off – it really is so delicious and the flavours are out of this world.
All of a sudden I was transported to a beach side Thai restaurant on the sublime island of Koh Lanta…
But how can it be vegan as don’t all Thai dishes use fish sauce?
It’s a good point, a lot do but not this one, so it’s totally safe for vegans to eat.
We always recommend that if you are a vegan, or you’re cooking for a vegan, that you check the ingredients of any prepacked ingredient that you are using.
All brands vary and sometimes even the most trusted of brands change their ingredients.
So by checking each time, you can be certain that no unwanted ingredients are in your curry.
The soup that’s also a main meal
If you’ve ever been to Thailand, (and if you haven’t then you really should if you get the chance) then you’ll know that a lot of Thai curries are a soupy consistency.
This particular coconut curry is a soupy consistency, so it’s great eating as a soup.
But if you want to bulk it out and make it into a main vegetarian meal, then it’s easily done by adding some rice.
We tend to choose brown rice with our coconut curry as we like the crunch to it.
But you can choose whichever rice you think suitable.
How do I make a vegan Thai coconut curry soup from scratch
We’ve fine tuned our curry and given you step by step instructions below, so it’s very straightforward to follow.
If you are an international visitor to our blog that uses cups, then please just use the toggle button below the ingredient list and you’ll have instantly converted the amounts to the measures that you are used to.
Please enjoy your Thai curry and feel free to leave a comment and let us know how you enjoyed it!
Vegan Thai Coconut Curry Soup Recipe
- Large pan
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- 1 Large sweet potato
- 5 Large carrots
- 1 Large red pepper
- 230 g Frozen peas
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1½ tbsp Coconut oil
- 5 tbsp Curry paste
- Salt to taste
- 400 mls Coconut milk
- 1 ltr Vegetable stock
- Firstly prepare your vegetables, you'll need to peel and dice your sweet potato and carrots
- Then finely dice the onion and remove the stalk and seeds from the red pepper and then cut into fine strips
- Get your stock dissolved in water and on standby for when you need it
- Now heat the coconut oil over a medium heat in a large pan (we used a wok)
- Put in the carrot and sweet potato chunks and let them cook for approximately 8 -9 minutes making sure you give them an occasional stir
- Next it's time to put in the onion, red pepper and mince in the garlic, cook this for 3 minutes
- Now you'll need to put in the remainder of your ingredients but NOT the frozen peas, give it a good stir and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat, so it's on a low simmer and its time to add the peas and cook for around 12 minutes
- Serve in bowls, with or without rice, and get ready to enjoy this wonderful soup