Bursting full of flavor, creamy, cheesy, but with a fresh vegetable taste, our halloumi stroganoff is a firm family favorite! If you’re looking for a delicious weeknight dinner idea then our vegetarian stroganoff is perfect!
This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links, I earn a small commission. Thank you for supporting a small business!
Why you’ll love our delicious vegetarian stroganoff recipe
What is stroganoff?
Stroganoff is a Russian dish that traditionally is sauteed beef in a sour cream sauce.
Based on the classic beef stroganoff , this recipe has a vegetarian twist, and is completely meat free, if you love halloumi then you’ll love this!
What is halloumi?
Halloumi is a Greek Turkish cheese made from goats and sheep’s milk.
It’s semi-hard and it’s great for frying and grilling because it has a high melting point.
How do I store it?
You can store your halloumi stroganoff in the fridge overnight in an airtight container.
Does it freeze?
Yes, halloumi stroganoff freezes well, so why not double up and make a batch for your freezer so it’s a delicious meal ready and waiting for you when you’re short on time.
How do I make it vegan?
It’s not difficult to make our halloumi stroganoff vegan.
There are two main ingredients that you’ll need to replace: the halloumi and the creme fraiche.
A good replacement for the halloumi is tofu fry or bake the tofu before adding it to your stroganoff.
You can easily buy a vegan alternative to creme fraiche made from plant-based milk, just take a look and see what your local store stocks.
What can I serve it with?
You can’t go wrong with rice, it’s the ‘go to’ accompaniment for us.
We also think that a lovely fresh salad is perfect for halloumi stroganoff and eat it with a slice of crusty bread.
Recipe notes and expert tips
More easy recipes for you to try
If you like our halloumi stroganoff, then why not give these easy recipes a try?
How to make halloumi stroganoff with step-by-step instructions
Making our halloumi stroganoff is easy if you follow our simple instructions.
Put a frying pan on medium heat, when it’s hot dry fry your halloumi cheese, it’ll only take a few minutes and the cheese is ready when it’s golden brown on each side.
Remove the cheese from the heat and set it aside.
Now add olive oil to the same pan and then add leeks and yellow pepper.
Crush your garlic cloves into the pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat until they have softened.
Next to go in are your mushrooms and cook them for a further 5 minutes.
Now add in your peas, creme fraiche, tomato puree, English mustard, chopped tomatoes, smoked paprika, chipotle peppers, and vegetable stock, and give it a good stir.
Now add the halloumi strips, turn the heat down and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in a bowl with rice, a nice fresh salad, or some crusty bread.
We hope you enjoy making and eating our halloumi stroganoff recipe and would love to hear how you got on with making it.
Please leave a comment below and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
- 400 g Halloumi cheese
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Leeks washed and sliced
- 1 Yellow bell pepper stalk and seeds removed and sliced
- 2 Cloves of garlic crushed
- 500 g Mixed mushrooms sliced
- 100 g Frozen peas
- 180 ml Creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- 400 g Chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Chipotle peppers
- 150 ml Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice your halloumi cheese into small 1cm strips. Put a frying pan on medium heat, when it's hot, dry fry your halloumi cheese, it'll only take a few minutes and the cheese is ready when it's golden brown on each side. Remove the cheese from the heat and set aside400 g Halloumi cheese
- Now, add olive oil to a large pan and then add leeks and yellow pepper. Crush your garlic cloves into the pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat until they have softened. Next, add your mushrooms and cook them for a further 5 minutes. Now add in your peas, creme fraiche, tomato puree, English mustard, chopped tomatoes, smoked paprika, chipotle peppers, vegetable stock and give it a good stir.1 tbsp Olive oil, 2 Leeks, 1 Yellow bell pepper, 2 Cloves of garlic, 500 g Mixed mushrooms, 100 g Frozen peas, 180 ml Creme fraiche, 1 tbsp Tomato puree, 2 tbsp English mustard, 400 g Chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp Smoked paprika, 1 tbsp Chipotle peppers, 150 ml Vegetable stock
- Now add your halloumi cheese, turn the heat down and simmer for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. A real cheesy, creamy feast – enjoy!Salt and pepper to taste
Please note that nutrient values are estimates only. Variations can occur due to product availability and manner of food preparation. Nutrition may vary based on methods of origin, preparation, freshness of ingredients, and other factors.
You may also like…
Pumpkin spice muffins are the perfect way to celebrate fall. They’re packed with all the flavors of the season, including pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.…
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy alternative to chicken wings? Look no further than our Vegetarian Buffalo Fries! Our fries are coated in…